Thanks to the generous donation of a free stand courtesy of the FMO, Vision Care for Homeless People attended an exciting weekend at Optrafair at the NEC in Birmingham. This is a bi-annual optical trade fair. Thank you also to all the volunteers who worked on the VCHP stand at Optrafair last weekend. It was a very productive weekend. It was our second time at the trade fair. Two years ago very few people had heard of us, this time at least 50% of people visiting our stand had heard of us and wished to find out how they could help. The rest were eager to find out more information.
Our message this Optrafair was:
• Increase in homelessness – therefore an increasing need for our valuable service
• We are looking to opening a new centre in the north west (possibly Manchester or Liverpool) in 2014
• The charity is in it’s tenth year – September 2013 is our anniversary
• 162 people signed up to our e-newsletter
• 14 people signed up to volunteer for us in our existing London, Birmingham or Brighton
• Some fantastic offers of support were made for donations and equipment
The photo is of two of our Birmingham volunteers Ralph and Margaret.